07 July 2007

He Said...She Said!

Well, I guess it was inevitable. My title has hit the market before my story has...or my book for that matter. Solemnly Swear is now available for purchase...but not my Solemnly Swear. Author Nancy Moser has just released her Xth number book, and it is called Solemnly Swear.

Some history: I started writing Solemnly Swear in 2002 and even applied for a copyright when it consisted of just 182 pages. It has changed significantly since then--but not the title. I sent for another copyright in 2007 now that it is ready for publishing. But, you cannot copyright a title. I heard about Nancy Moser a few months ago and contacted her via email when I heard about her new book due out in July. Here is her reply:

"...I read your synopsis online and our books are nothing the same. Mine focuses on four members of a jury in the trial over the death of a host in a hotel restaurant. It's more about the jury than the trial. And it's certainly not a mystery thriller like yours involving the mob. I've had this happen before with a few of my novels. Mary Higgins Clark even had one named the same as mine (or was mine the same as hers?) "Second Time Around". Wish I had her sales! You can't copyright titles, so it happens. Good luck with your book. Nancy Moser"

So, there you have it. Ms. Moser is a published author and she was gracious enough to respond to my email. Her book is now out, and mine has been delayed...which is probably a good thing since there will be a lapse of time between the similar titles. Write on!

No comments: