17 July 2007

Total Control...A Good Thing or a Bad Thing?

There are definite differences between traditional and self-publishing. One of the main differences is total control, and it's overrated. I was torn on the ending of Solemnly Swear. I mean, I actually couldn't decide on keeping the original ending, which was one of the first things I wrote down when I started writing the story, or changing it to meet some "reader's needs" and feedback.

I received some good input from family and friends--you can always count on that--which only made it harder to solve the split decision. It doesn't help to know that the author has the final say in the self-publishing world. What solved it for me...? I had the audacity to ask the "experts" what they thought.

I contacted the publisher and asked them to pose my question of alternate endings to the professional editors who had worked on my book. A few days later I got the advice I had so hoped to get. They liked my original ending but offered a little tweak here and there. I took it a step further and was able to figure out a solution where I was satisfied, and I think most readers will be satisfied with the ending. And, here it is...Alex is getting...oops...oh, man, I just ran out of typewriter ribbon. Looks like you will just have to read Solemnly Swear to see what happens...

No comments: